Saturday, January 15, 2011

Week 16 - Mom Update

Pregnancy is a lot of fun emotionally, but physically it's not very glamourous!  Besides the bloating that can literally add three inches to my waist (I measured!), and even make relaxing uncomfortable... I get bouts of heartburn that keep me up at night, swollen, stuffy sinuses and this morning I woke up with a beautiful, swollen 'blemish' over my left eyebrow.

And although my pants do NOT fit anymore, I don't have a pretty little bump, I am just 'thick' through the tummy!

Oh, and last but not least, every couple of weeks my uterus goes through a growth spurt which leaves me gasping in pain should I stand or turn quickly.  God help me if I sneeze without preparing myself.  I thought Mom was going to call 911 the other day - the pain was searing but faded quickly.

By late afternoon, baby begins to move more than usual and I always feel guilty that I'm sitting, squishing him for hour upon hour as I work away at my desk, my snug waistband digging into my tummy and putting more pressure on the baby than my clients put on me!  My tummy cramps a bit and my lower back begins to ache.  It's a great reminder to go home, stop working and take care of myself.

The heartbeat is extremely easy to find now, just a tiny bit below my belly button and heard within a few seconds of trying.  It's still fast, between 140 and 155 usually (that's healthy and normal!), and as I said before, you can tell when the baby moves because of a 'swoosh' and change in the heartbeat sound.

For all the physical challenges I really do love being pregnant. Yesterday a couple of people actually noticed the higher roundness of my tummy and commented that I was showing!  That was very cool.  And feeling the baby move is like this secret little reminder that s/he's there and happily growing.  The roundness of my stomach is foreign and makes me laugh when I see myself in the mirror.

Overall, the pregnancy is pretty boring and normal.  Something I would not change for the world.  It's all happening quickly and perfectly.  It's astounding to think that we will have a baby... our baby... that we've waited so long for.... in our lives.  Well, I suppose we *do* have a baby in our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment